Tuesday, January 4, 2011

a poem for no reason

the old camera shop

I'll never forget the furling flags
above fire escapes
outside the walk-ups
     of downtown Chicago.

it was on S. Wabash near the 623
     S. Wabash Columbia College building.
an old camera shop
across the street,

now gone, replaced by a warehouse liquors.
and other signs of
progress washing over
     my city, --

KFC
Subway
Pizza Hut
Dunkin Donuts
Baskin Robbins
open 24 hours
and a Tamarind
for the hip in the South Loop

but I'll never forget the flags, furling,
above fire escapes 
outside the walk-ups
     of downtown Chicago.

- Hoc Scripsi

4 comments:

  1. With all the chain stores and franchises now, one city looks much like the next. It was great when every place had it's own identity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went back to my hometown a few yrs back and it was depressing..none of my childhood haunts were around. It was like I imagined them all.. Very sad...

    Like thi one, for no particular reason, just do!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoyed this, you catch the difference in times very well.

    ReplyDelete

I will reply to communications via e-mail. If you have not enabled e-mail communication then I cannot reply to your communications, if you want to hear back, you must enable me to do so, everything is more personal this way.