Friday, April 30, 2010

why don't they shoot more poets?

I have normal aspirations mostly. Maybe.
Normal: not wanting to be rich just successful in my own view, as a poet/writer mostly poet though.
maybe not so normal: the extreme of that success is being assassinated for being a poet, for aligning words in such a way that we are found to be dangerous. My example would be Lorca. I admire his poetry and plays, spent a summer translating a few of the poems. I envy his death tho it is not envious.
Normal: to write about what I experience and see others experiencing.
hummmm: to have large portions of my memory erased so  I can be in a pure place with my madness and write from there. It's the view of the world a poet has that drives him/her to write, the more that view is abstracted from the society the better the work to a point and I don't know where that point is and given enough time all artists cross it.
these are my examples for today, all questions will be fielded after the poem.

 on 04/30/1945 the world was rid of a monster, exactly six years earlier another monster made it's debut and has ingratiated itself into the normal consciousness.
the former being the suicide of Adolf Hitler and the latter being CBS television made it's first broadcast at the worlds fair. I don't mean to pick on CBS alone as they are all a conglomeration of pushers with their junk easily spread into the veins of children and adults. I almost never watch television programs or television itself anymore. I had my fill over a three year period where I could not do much more than lay on a couch and observe the box. I mean to pick on Hitler though and acknowledge that his mosterousness is incomparable to any contemporary person.

This is how I view ECT:

poetry doesn't have to make sense to be good
poetry doesn't have to cure social ills
poetry doesn't have to __________________

electricity is always running through us - we just
don't care for increasing the amperage.

what man does to man
man does not do to one self less he
be considered insane

poetry doesn't have to comment
poetry doesn't have to describe
poetry doesn't have to be well written


Electric chairs can be wired badly and still
kill with efficiency.


 - Hoc Scripsi (right now, so forgive if it is poorly written or not ________)


 I had intended for this to be a different poem. Something from my back stock about poets be assassinated for their good looks but it is now going to be the above write. 

yesterday I cleaned my .38 and 30 aught 6, today I get the scope mounted and dialed in.
I load my thirty-aught-six to board the downtown train...


but that's another poem...

1 comment:

  1. I've really been struggling with my writing lately. I have had almost regrets about putting it online because it was this or that or someone's mother. Something seemed to have gotten lost in the translation many times, and I got discouraged.

    But just like you told mel to write it or burn it, you just shouted through the computer to me:

    "poetry doesn't have to _____"

    And it doesn't. I had forgotten. So thank you. And yes, I just made this all about me.

    ReplyDelete

I will reply to communications via e-mail. If you have not enabled e-mail communication then I cannot reply to your communications, if you want to hear back, you must enable me to do so, everything is more personal this way.