Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Magpie #41

it had been seven hours since the moment of clarity and now we questioned it entirely. a moment of obscurity - and still it had been seven hours since.
I loaded my gun and walked amiably toward the back bedroom where the typewriter was kept and once entered sat down to feel out a confession of sorts but only to be read by my god or therapist. some words crashed out effortlessly while others necessated manual extraction via a syringe into fingertips.
the last time we were here my ulnar nerve was nicked and the sensation fled out of one and a half fingers.
now we allowed it to escape though minute burning forced our eyes to watch and our brain to repudiate its association.
here, the faces of clocks tell no hour. hands strength to point forced into submission by gears and precise Japanese clockwork.
and faces painted adorn walls never lit.



image found at Magpie tales prompt #41.

12 comments:

  1. Well I'll be.. I actually saw that prompt-picture and thought, "I can write something on that".. but it will never equal to yours..

    "here, the faces of clocks tell no hour"..such a desolate thought..

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...others necessated manual extraction via a syringe into fingertips" ...I can so relate to this.

    Your last line is especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good!

    "...only to be read by my god or therapist"
    awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phenomenal as always. I saw this prompt this morning and am just stuck with it this week. Yours is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel haunted. I found this chilling!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'allowed it to escape though minute burning forced our eyes to watch and our brain to repudiate its association'

    I'm hooked by such words. Imagery powers here. This is my favourite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stirring and more than a little chilling. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. bowing my head in humility... "thank you"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicking your ulnar nerve means you can no longer hit the Shift Key, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucy - I believe that capitalizing the words 'shift key' is improper and I am glad that you were able to look up and discern which fingers the ulnar nerve affect directly. I write poetry and tend to be rather careful what I capitalize and what I do not. See in poetry every key stroke needs to be considered, I know that this is something that you don't know much about so I am happy to be able to inform you. I would also like to add that in poetry the most important part is the language used and meter - not the format of justifying all the words on the left side or the center or the right.
    See we can both be snarky bitches. When deciding to feel more important than others it is important to follow the rules you yourself are standing by. Also, Judging one persons strength in grammar best be done by reading several things that they have written so you do not come off looking like an idiot when you are not, unless you are - then by all means!

    ReplyDelete
  11. creepy,
    powerful word painting.

    ReplyDelete

I will reply to communications via e-mail. If you have not enabled e-mail communication then I cannot reply to your communications, if you want to hear back, you must enable me to do so, everything is more personal this way.