Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Monday and Tuesday

the second and third - 2&3 - 23, isn't there something significant about that?

my father-in-law is dying and I am losing a good friend, a man I deeply admired.
I've switched to autopilot and my wife has had to be the stronger of us.
I don't grieve well and I do so silently, she headlongs into projects and gets everything done. my wife, my constant hero and I do what I can for her.
Eventually the words will come and for now I cannot convey the depth of my sadness. his wife, his daughter are in mourning's bondage and we are all walking with him to the end of his many years of struggle.
We go to hospice tomorrow - it is an unfortunate 2 hours away in a veterans home - he has lived there for the past 6.5 years.

It has taken me a long time to write this much. it is hard to lose such a good man.




I grieve

I grieve slowly,
quietly.

occupying the hours of
a day with meditations

of death and the dead.
often I consider my own death

and am not unnerved by it as
death is one end only.

it is ever the patient student
of the dead that practices life

so fully
as to die with ease.

 - Hoc Scripsi

7 comments:

  1. Very sweet. You are lucky to have had such a wonderful father in law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ann, I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Jhon for what you and your family are going through.

    I guess the only thing you do do is be strong for your wife. She'll need every ounce of strength that you can muster for the both of you.

    Good luck.

    ~Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'me very sorry you are losing your good friend and father-in-law and your wife is losing her father. I hope he goes with without pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jhon,

    each day I will include you and yours in my prayers to the universe. May the strength and light find it's way to you during this extremely difficult time.
    Please take care of you..too..
    Selah,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you and your family, Jhon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won't say "I'm Sorry" - but know that my thoughts and my good intentions are with you and will continue your way for as long as you need them.

    Take care of you.

    ReplyDelete

I will reply to communications via e-mail. If you have not enabled e-mail communication then I cannot reply to your communications, if you want to hear back, you must enable me to do so, everything is more personal this way.