Tuesday, June 21, 2011

pain and poetry

From here, the days just keep getting shorter. This is what informs my day

What would you do if you knew you could not fail? this is the test to know what you should spend you life doing. it is suppose to be rhetorical and/or asked by every guidance counselor of every pimply faced teenager who doesn't know yet what they want to do. I didn't know then - or I did but it wasn't considered a wise career choice.
My answer now? - no longer live through the vagaries of chronic pain - find a way to free myself from the unrelenting haunt that are, the constraints of living that are, physical pain and mental anguish.

What I once wished was to be a poet - to varying degrees I am that now, I live it and it is possibly pain that has given me this aspect, pain that has offered me clarity through pain controlling medications, pain has offered me poetry that does not belong on even the most interesting hallmark cards.

4 comments:

  1. Great art always stems from true pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah. a timely question. i'm realizing i need to consider an answer...all things considered.

    and mangling the postage wasn't enough -- the effers are on strike now (in case you didn't read the Canadian news today) -- so your letter sits on my desk gathering dust while the government circle-jerks over gawdknowswhat the whinging bastards think they're entitled to. yes - i am bitter. i LIVE for my snail-mail

    i shall likely just write a new one.

    if i had a magic wand...eradicating your pain would be at the top of my to-do list...

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking only for myself, I've always written better when I'm in mental and emotional anguish. I don't get that way very often now and it shows in what comes out of me. I'd rather have anguish than constant physical pain though. I hope you can escape it someday.

    ReplyDelete

I will reply to communications via e-mail. If you have not enabled e-mail communication then I cannot reply to your communications, if you want to hear back, you must enable me to do so, everything is more personal this way.